Wednesday, October 29, 2008

continuing circles

Well the re-routing was 2 meal vouchers and a motel voucher for one night at a local motel 6. Ggeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. There were several very angry people at gate D24. Some elected to try to get on later flights going to Wilmington, NC. That is an hour drive from Jacksonville. Others accepted the vouchers and dealt with the delay. I had an ace in the hole.....I have friends that live just outside Atlanta. DIL called them for me as my phone had run out of minutes. (I use one of those pay as you go phones) I remembered to charge it before I left but forget to check the minutes... I had about an hour and half wait for my friend to come and pick me up. So I went in search of a place to use one of the meal vouchers. Preferably one that was a sit down eatery that offered adult beverages. I had been up since 5 am CDT and it was now going on 6 pm EDT. Also I wanted to look for a phone card.
As I walked(my back killing me all the way) along D concourse in the Atlanta Airport I scanned every kiosk and store front to see if they sold phone cards. I went into a vareity store and asked them if they knew of a place. The young man was helpful and said "Oh yes, down around gate 34 there is a machine that sells them. Well I had just come from that direction and I was in the area of Gate 20. So I turned around and walked back the way I had just come. When I got in the neighborhood of gate 34 there was no such machine. I went into a newstand and asked if they sold phone cards or knew of a place on this concourse. They said that they did not sell the cards but thought a place did over on 'C' concourse....Oh great....SOooooooo I turned around and walked back by all the gates and travelers that I had just passed. I made my way back down to the train system that is in the basement of the airport. I wasn't walking over to 'C' concourse. It was a short train ride and I walked up to the concourse renewing my search for a phone card. When I popped up on the concourse the escalator deposited me on the door step of an electronics store. I scanned all the offerings hanging on the wall behind the sales person. I didn't see any cards. The salesman asked what was I looking for and I told him a phone card for my phone. He said that there was a vending machine right around the corner from his shop. Great! I went around the corner and indeed there was a machine. But it sold regular old phone cards. The kind that you use on a regular phone. Well I needed to make phone calls so I bought one.
Next on the agenda was to search for something to eat and drink. I check the directory and the only thing that was going to fit my requirements on this concourse was Sam Adams Brew House. Of course it was at the far end of the concourse.
I finally waddled into the Airport version of a brew house and found a table. The waitress handed me a menu. Egads! There was nothing on the menu under 10 bucks. One meal voucher was only for $7. I sure didn't want to use both of them on one meal. I finally spotted a hot dog for $3. Okay got the food picked out. Since I was in a 'brew house' I ordered their dark ale. The hot dog was lousy but the beer was good. I was able to take a pain pill. The waitress brought the bill. The total was $11.01. What the ...??? How could that be? Hot dog $3..check. Beer...$7!!!! Holy Crap!
I handed over a some dollars and the voucher. And then headed for the front door to meet my friend....

1 comment:

Chaska Peacock said...

Oh, Dorothy, what an ordeal! Travel has gotten to be ifficult....Atlanta airport is HUGE! I don't enjoy walking any of them, though.