Tuesday, October 17, 2006

dumpster diving

Well it really wasn't dumpster diving. I had just visited McDonalds for breakfast and was taking a short cut through the back parking lot of Penny's when I saw it. The third display unit that I had been hoping they would put out. When I was setting up the Artfull Hand I bought used display units from various sources, mainly stores that were updating theirs or who were going out of business. I got some really good buys. Well the Penny's store in Washington must have been cleaning out store rooms in July of '05 . I bought from the back of the store 2 slat wall units on wheels in fair condition.
As the Artfull Hand has grown I needed more display units. I have been on the watch for several months for another unit. I even checked the store supply catalog that I had. A new unit was in the neighbor of $400..yikes. So I was patient for once... And last Saturday I was rewarded. There it was sitting along side some other discards. I told myself that I would buy it if it was still there when I got freed from the Vet office. Well....it was there when I drove by again. So I stopped in the Catalog department of the store to pay the lady behind the counter. She told me that she would find a man to help me load it into my vehicle. Ok. I backed up my Ford Explorer to the unit and waited. Instead of a man, two women came out of the store. The three of us picked it up and put it into the back of my vehicle. Who needs a man?
Once I got it back to the shop Jane and I unloaded it and moved it into the shop. We washed it down and re-arranged the other 2 displays to accommodate the addition.
Why you ask is this worthy of a post???? Because of my dumpster diving prowess there is more money to be spent on product and stamps to fill the new display!!!!!!! Hurray!

No comments: