Monday, September 25, 2006

Fall Changes


This past week-end the Artfull Hand hosted a Fall Garage Sale. In addition to being able to sell used stamps we opened up the possibilities to anything art related. Our customers brought in things from scrap fabric and fibers to Sissix tools. We had 3- 6 foot tables overflowing and one side counter filled with cool stuff. The sales were brisk as the autumn air on Saturday. We feel that the garage sale was a success.

Fall is a strange time for me. I feel like I want to hibernate. I know it is the Seasonal Disorder that many people have. I really don't do anything for it. It affects me mentally and physically. I can be reveling in the glorious colors, the crisp clean blue of the sky and the pungent scent of burning leaves while also feeling down in the dumps. I know that all of those stimulants to the eyes and nose will soon be gone, swept away by winter's wind and cold. Fall is the time when my Librian nature really comes to the surface as you might be able to tell from my photograph "Autumn Grief" that I posted with these comments. I really tried to balance the lights and the darks, the colors and the composition. I think I did quite well. When I look at this photo I remember the day I took it. It was a fun filled day with a friend on a delightful October day. Ok - you say, " What in the world were you doing in a cemetery?" Well, the answer is that both my friend and I have an interest in cemetery art. We were exploring this cemetery, Forrest Hills, In Kansas City, MO. It has some wonderful examples of sculpture. Not only do we look for interesting and beautiful pieces of art we also read the head stones, wondering about the decease, their lives, their loves. Sometimes we are sadden by what is written. Other times we get a history lesson. And on a rare occasion we are witnessed to the humor of the deceased or their family. Cemeteries are not at all spooky places. They are peaceful and beautiful. I think I will go and take a walk in the neighborhood cemetery to say hello to some of the residents.