Monday, September 17, 2007

Tour of Missouri

This past Saturday a Tour de France like bike race came through Washington. I was able to catch a picture of the leaders as they sped by the shop. I had hung out my fabric sign on the neighbors fence in hopes that if there was a camera crew following the racers it just might get seen. These guys whizzed by so fast that by the time the shutter clicked they were gone. Following the leaders came several chase cars. Then nine Highway Patrol cars that I counted. I got bored and went back in the store. Bev stayed out side. She saw the rest of the pack come through being followed by 11 more Highway Patrol cars plus several sheriff cars and a few Washington Patrol Cars... I hope there wasn't any accidents on the major interstates that needed to be investigated.
I heard on the radio this morning that this was such a successful event that it is expected to be repeated next year. And that the whole thing was estimated to have added 50 million dollars to the State's pocket book in one week-end. Well I sure didn't see any of that windfall. Fifth Street in front of my shop was shut down for a good forty-five minutes. The whole afternoon I had only two customers to brave the street closures. The bridge over the Missouri was closed too. so that meant no one from across the river could get to me. Sure you could get to me from the back streets but you would have had to be a local to find your way through. If this goes on again next year I hope they find another town to disrupt.

No comments: